Mama Diaries

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Caveman

My son is very interested in caves. Perhaps it's because we have visited the Natural History Museum numerous times and walked through the cave exhibit there. Today we had a discussion about caves.

"Mommy, when can we go to Mammoth Caves?"

"Maybe in the summer. That's not something we can just go do in an afternoon because it's far away."

"How far?"

"It would take about four hours to get there."

"Oh." He thought for a little while. "Where's the closest cave?"

"Well," I replied, "Seven Caves is about two hours away, and Old Man Cave is about two hours away."

"Can we go in the caves?"

"Not at Seven Caves. Those are closed to the public because some aren't safe, and also because vandals ruined some of them."

"Oh. Would they open them for birthday parties?"

"What?"

"Yeah, can I have a birthday party there and invite my friends?

"Dude, I don't think anyone is going to drive two hours for your birthday party!"

He was disappointed. "I really want a cave party!"

"All right, little caveman. I'll decorate our house to look like a cave, and we can have a cave party!"

He was pleased. Now I just have to figure out how to make stalagtites and stalagmites!

No comments:

Post a Comment