Mama Diaries

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Flying Trays and Other Assorted Mayhem

It was Friday the 13th.  We were in San Francisco.  The day was as gloomy as could be.  Fog covered the land.  I could just tell it was going to be a day to remember.

The first indication that something was amiss was when we got on the Muni subway.  There were more bums on that thing than normal people.  The majority of them seemed completely stoned out of their minds.  I told my kids not to look at them, because they weren't the friendly sort that we met in San Diego.

We got off at Civic Center where the city hall was, and where the theaters and fine arts were located.  It was  a bad situation.  Homeless people were everywhere, and the air smelled like drugs.  In fact, one guy threw a blue restaurant tray at us, barely missing my daughter.

My husband quickly turned us around, and we got the heck out of there!  It was completely unsafe.

Later that day, we made our way to Fisherman's Warf and Pier 39.  There was an assortment of entertainers, including some mimes.  Now, I don't normally mind mimes, but these guys were scary!  Something was wrong with them.  I figured out what it was when I saw one completely gold mime huddled by a garbage dump, snorting drugs.  Fortunately, my kids didn't see that one.

San Francisco is not the place it was 15 years ago.  It is messed up big time!  So, San Francisco, here's what I have to say to you:  You're cable cars are cool, but your drug-addicted homeless are not!  You'd better fix that problem, or I'm not coming back!  

8 comments:

  1. I love San Francisco, but my daughter lives in the area and she protects me when I visit. I thought the crazy homeless people were much worse in Berkeley than in San Francisco.

    Love,
    Janie Junebug, who is happy to have you as a new follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We drove past Berkeley, but didn't stop. I'm glad we didn't, if it was worse than San Francisco!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that your daughter was not hit by the tray. I've never been to San Francisco, but not sure I've ever want to after hearing what you and your family had to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was shocking! Even my husband couldn't believe it. (He used to live in California.)

      Delete
  3. That's frightening. Mimes scare me even if they aren't crouched behind dumpsters snorting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little disconcerting to see a guy completely spray painted from head to toe in gold, crouched by that garbage dump doing drugs!

      Delete
  4. Wow, never want to go there. Seeeeee the cat always tells you mimes are scary, just further proof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cat is right! I'll never criticize cat for not liking mimes ever again!

      Delete