Mama Diaries

Monday, July 2, 2012

Harvesting Hail

We had a wicked storm blow though here.  In fact, one house in the neighborhood got struck by lightening and caught on fire.  Not so good. Lightening didn't strike our house, but we got pelted by some golf-ball sized hail.  It was crazy!

After the storm, my kids decided to check out the ice chunks that landed in our yard. 

"Mama, I need a cup," my son said. (Sound familiar?)

I fetched the cup and gave it to him.  My daughter wanted one, too.

A short while later,  each kid had a full cup of hail balls.

"What are you going to do with those?" I asked.

"Put them in the freezer," my son said.

So now I have a freezer full of  hail.  A word of caution to ya'll:  If you visit my pad, and I give you a drink, it may contain hail balls instead of ice cubes.   

12 comments:

  1. I can remember quite clearly, that we did the same when we were young... collect hail stones. I can remember how exciting it was, but that was many, many moons ago... I won't go into too much detail. LOL
    Funnily enough, my new post is also entitled: Harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least you are recycling sorta I suppose, still God knows where those hail balls have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Could be recycled waste products, if you know what I mean!

      Delete
  3. wow--these crazy storms are going around---sorry about your neighbor's house----that's so cute--reminds me how my kids used to put snowballs in the freezer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my kids put snowballs in the freezer, too. Sometimes we don't even have room for the food!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. My mom never let me do that. I'm glad I let my kids do it.

      Delete
  5. We live close to Loveland, but didn't get any hail. At least they put it in the freezer and not under their pillows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's strange. Mother Nature must've unloaded all her golf balls on us. Glad you didn't get any.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about your neighbor's house. Sounds like your son's cup collection came in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about the fire and the crazy hail.

    I wonder if it makes for good slushies with added juice.

    ReplyDelete