Mama Diaries

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Saving Bugs

I took my son to the pool yesterday. He had a great time swimming, until he noticed the bugs. Apparently they thought it would be nice to go for a swim, too.

"Mama, these bugs are going to die if someone doesn't get them out of here."

I nodded. "Why don't you help them?"

He made a face and shook his head. "No way. I'm not touching those things. You get them out!"

Of course. Mama always gets the dirty work. I scooped up a little moth with my hands and deposited him on the deck. I found a beetle and did the same. Then I saw a wasp. "Dude, the wasp is out of luck."

"Why, Mama? You can't discriminate against wasps. He's a bug, too!"

I scowled at the boy. "But that bug is going to sting me. There's no way I'm going to save something that's going to be ungrateful and hurt me!"

Bubba grinned and got out of the pool. He looked around and found a skimmer net. Then he scooped up the wasp and threw him over the pool fence onto the grass.  "There, Mama. That's how you save a wasp!"

(Now, why didn't I think of that?)

32 comments:

  1. Glad to see he went to work. That's a good Bubba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It was nice to see him take some initiative to solve a problem himself!

      Delete
  2. Now that he knows how to do it, he can save the rest of the bugs himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. twould be fun if the wasp stings him in the bum tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. He'd be very upset. He actually is a little afraid of bees and wasps. He was stung by a whole swarm of them when he got too close to a nest.

      Delete
  4. So now you know he knows how to do it....

    ReplyDelete
  5. If he can do one he can do the rest haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, a problem solving man in training.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry, your son has such a good heart ♡

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't touch bugs either. That's what tools are for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helping something that will be ungrateful... Isn't that parenting?

    Wow, did it just get dark in here?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed that he knows the word "discriminate" AND wanted to save some tiny lives! Parenting done right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not just parenting - a community effort. But it's good that he's learned a few good things along the way. :)

      Delete
  11. Bulbs has acquired your fast thinking skills.

    ReplyDelete